miércoles, 9 de abril de 2008

Too good to be forgotten?

Antonio Cassano and Alessandro Del Piero may yet force their way into the reckoning for Italy's UEFA EURO 2008™ squad despite missing out on recent friendlies.

Friendly absentees
With just two months and a day to go until Italy's opening Group C game against the Netherlands on 9 June, many believe that coach Roberto Donadoni has already got a clear idea of the squad that he will take to Austria and Switzerland, but Cassano and Del Piero are not giving up hope despite being excluded from recent friendly get-togethers with the national team.

Fierce temper
Currently on loan from Real Madrid CF at UC Sampdoria, Cassano's strength and creativity mark him out as a special talent, but the 25-year-old's temperament has become almost as famous. The former AS Bari and AS Roma star's fiery response to referees and even team-mates has seen him collect a steady flow of red and yellow cards. As a case in point, he only just returned from a five-match suspension on Sunday to help his side win 2-0 against AS Livorno Calcio and keep Sampdoria in the hunt for a UEFA Champions League place.

'Second to nobody'
Cassano scored the final goal of Italy's ill-fated UEFA EURO 2004™ finals campaign but was not in the squad for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Nonetheless, his record of seven goals in 16 league games this season may prove hard for Donadoni to ignore. "I spoke with Donadoni a few days ago," said Cassano. "You have to deal with him in a certain way and I hope I managed it. In my opinion I'm second to nobody, not even Cristiano Ronaldo or Kaká, so I think my presence in Austria and Switzerland would be an advantage for Italy."

Splendid performance
At 33, Juventus striker Del Piero is a little more reserved in his outlook, but his goalscoring record speaks for itself, with 13 strikes from 30 Serie A games this season. His side lost 3-2 at US Città di Palermo on Sunday, but Del Piero scored twice and also rattled the post with a magnificent free-kick, as if any reminder were needed of his ability.

'Dual target'
The vastly experienced Del Piero has not given up hope of a UEFA EURO 2008™ berth either, saying: "I have two targets this year. First, I will do my best to help Juventus get into next year's UEFA Champions League. Second, I hope Donadoni will make me part of the squad for UEFA EURO 2008™. I have worked hard this season and I think I deserve the call, even though the coach is free to make his own decision." It will surely not be a decision he will take lightly.