miércoles, 9 de abril de 2008

France stars to relive 1998 glory

The French Football Federation has announced plans to celebrate the ten-year anniversary of France's FIFA World Cup triumph with a gala match between the triumphant 1998 team and a world XI at the Stade de France on 12 July.

'An honour'
Les Bleus clinched the title for the first time with a 3-0 victory over Brazil in Paris thanks to Zinédine Zidane's double and a further goal from Emmanuel Petit, and Aimé Jacquet's victorious side will now be reunited exactly a decade later. "It's a great pleasure and an honour for me," said Jacquet, who confirmed at a press conference on Tuesday that he would be retaking his place in the dugout for the game. "Today the France shirt has a real identity."

Lizarazu memories
Meanwhile, former France left-back Bixente Lizarazu said he was looking forward to commemorating "the most beautiful moment of my career". He added: "The more time goes by, the more I tell myself that what we did in 1998 was simply incredible. My best memory remains the moment I lifted the trophy. Today there is still something special between the players who participated in France '98."